- Program agenda (PDF)
- Advance online registration is closed. On-site registration is available; call or email in advance to check on seating (Matt Bigelow, email@example.com; 919-715-2893)
Each January, the Association hosts Leading Your County Governing Board: An Orientation for New Board Chairs. In this one-day training, NCACC staff and UNC School of Government faculty, along with current and former county officials, will lead discussion on:
- the powers and duties of the board chair and vice chair, including setting the agenda, enforcing rules of procedure, and managing public comments;
- the importance of setting a civil tone;
- “governing in the real world” – lessons from veteran board chairs;
- working with the media; and
- the relationship between the board chair and the county manager.
This program will be offered Friday, Jan. 15, 2016, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the Quorum Center in Raleigh. Parking is available in the Quorum Center parking deck (entrance off Harrington Street).
The fee to attend is $95. In addition to the instructional program, attendees receive lunch and two books:
- Suggested Rules of Procedure for the Board of County Commissioners, by Joseph S. Ferrell
- Leading Your Governing Board: A Guide for Mayors and County Board Chairs, by Vaughn M. Upshaw